My stay at The American Trade Hotel was compensated. My views and opinion of the location and accommodation are authentically my own.
Have your trip to Panama planned with a professional!
Welcome to my travel guide on the American Trade Hotel in Casco Viejo, Panama. Located in the historic district of Panama City, this hotel is a beautiful blend of history and modern luxury. The American Trade Hotel, part of the Ace Hotel Group, is housed in a beautifully restored building that dates back to the early 1900s. This hotel has become one of the top destinations for travelers visiting Panama, and for good reason.
I came here for the first time to celebrate my birthday and little did I know I would quickly fall in love with the food, the culture, and the people who all make the country so vibrant and special.
In this guide, I’ll take you through the highlights of my stay at the American Trade Hotel and give you a taste of what you can expect during your visit.
Table of Contents
Hey babes 👋 come with me on vacation to Panama. I’m staying at the #AmericanTradeHotel and sharing the history behind the walls. 🇵🇦 @matadornetwork @dametravelerofficial @smallluxuryhotels @Travel + Leisure #visitpanama #cascoviejo #panamaluxury #travelwriter♬ Latino (Instrumental) - Ultra Beats
10 Fascinating Facts About Casco Viejo, Panama's Historic District
Exploring the historic neighborhood of Casco Viejo is an incredible experience for anyone visiting Panama City. This picturesque neighborhood is full of stunning architecture, vibrant culture, and fascinating history. From its origins as a pirate stronghold to its current status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Casco Viejo is full of surprises.
Here are 10 facts about the history of Casco Viejo:
- Casco Viejo, also known as the Old Quarter, is the historic district of Panama City, Panama.
- The area was founded in 1673, after the original city was destroyed by pirate attacks.
- Casco Viejo is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recognized for its unique blend of architectural styles and cultural history.
- The district features a mix of colonial, neoclassical, and art deco buildings, reflecting the influence of Spain, France, and the United States.
- Casco Viejo was once a dangerous and rundown neighborhood, but has undergone a significant revitalization in recent years.
- Today, the area is home to trendy shops, bars, and restaurants, as well as historic landmarks and museums.
- Some of the most popular attractions in Casco Viejo include the Panama Canal Museum, the Presidential Palace, and the Metropolitan Cathedral.
- The district is also known for its lively nightlife scene, with many bars and clubs staying open until the early hours of the morning.
- Visitors to Casco Viejo can enjoy stunning views of the Panama City skyline from atop the district’s historic walls.
- Casco Viejo is also a popular filming location, having been featured in movies such as James Bond’s Quantum of Solace and the Netflix series Narcos.
Getting to The American Trade Hotel in Casco Viejo: Transportation Options
If you’re planning a trip to the American Trade Hotel, it’s important to know how to get there. Luckily, there are several transportation options available, and each one offers a unique experience.
Ways to get to the American Trade Hotel when landing in Panama:
- Private Transfer: You can book a private transfer to the American Trade Hotel through the hotel’s website or other online travel sites. This will provide you with a comfortable and stress-free option to get to the hotel.
- Taxi: Taxis are readily available at Tocumen International Airport, and it’s a relatively short ride to Casco Viejo where the American Trade Hotel is located. Be sure to agree on a price with the driver before starting the journey.
- Shuttle Bus: Many shuttle bus companies offer transfers from the airport to the hotel, and this can be a cost-effective option if you are traveling with a group or on a budget.
- Rental Car: If you prefer to have your own vehicle during your stay in Panama, rental cars are available at the airport. However, driving in Panama City can be challenging, so be sure to familiarize yourself with the local traffic laws before hitting the road.
- Public Transportation: There are public transportation options available from the airport to the city, including buses and the metro. However, these options may not be the most convenient if you have a lot of luggage or if you’re unfamiliar with the area.
The American Trade Hotel
The American Trade Hotel, located in Panama City’s Casco Viejo, is a stunning boutique hotel that has played a significant role in the revitalization of the historic neighborhood. The hotel, which is housed in a beautifully restored landmark building, blends elements of colonial grandeur and contemporary design to create a unique atmosphere that celebrates the culture, history, and beauty of Panama.
The hotel features 50 rooms, a rooftop pool, a jazz bar, a restaurant serving Panamanian cuisine, a coffee shop, and a library, making it the perfect place to relax and explore the charming Casco Viejo.
The moment you step into the American Trade Hotel lobby, you’re immediately struck by the stunning Spanish colonial architecture, which blends beautifully with vibrant colors and fresh greenery.
As you explore the lobby, you’ll notice unique graffiti on the walls that holds a rich history. The hotel manager shared with me that the words and drawings are original and were once used as a way for gang members who occupied the building before to communicate with each other. This fascinating detail adds to the overall ambiance and unique character of the American Trade Hotel.
The hotel offers a variety of luxurious accommodations for travelers visiting Panama. Each room is designed with unique features and elegant furnishings, providing guests with an unforgettable experience. Whether you are traveling for business or leisure, the hotel has a room that suits your needs.
Here are some of the room options available at the American Trade Hotel:
- Small Queen: This cozy room features a queen-size bed, modern furnishings, and a spacious bathroom with a rainfall shower.
- Standard King: The Standard King room offers a comfortable king-size bed, elegant decor, and a large bathroom with a separate shower and bathtub.
- Deluxe King: The Deluxe King room boasts a king-size bed, a private balcony with stunning views of Casco Viejo, and a luxurious bathroom with a walk-in rainfall shower and a separate bathtub.
- Double Deluxe: Perfect for families or groups of friends, the Double Deluxe room features two double beds, a private balcony with breathtaking views, and a spacious bathroom with a separate shower and bathtub.
- Studio Suite: This spacious suite includes a king-size bed, a separate living area, and a private balcony with panoramic views of Casco Viejo.
- Corner Suite: The Corner Suite is a luxurious option that features a king-size bed, a separate living area with a sofa bed, and a private balcony with stunning views of the city.
- American Trade Suite: The most luxurious option at the hotel, the American Trade Suite boasts a king-size bed, a separate living room with a sofa bed, a dining area, a private balcony with panoramic views of Casco Viejo, and a spacious bathroom with a separate shower and bathtub.
No matter which room you choose, you will enjoy luxurious amenities, including plush bedding, premium bath products, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
During my stay, I chose to stay in the Jardin room, which comfortably accommodates up to three guests. The room features a plush king-sized bed and a stunning garden courtyard, offering a peaceful and serene atmosphere. With a spacious 792 square feet, the Jardin room did not disappoint in providing ample space to relax and unwind.
I distinctly remember telling my mom during my stay, “It’s so peaceful here, even at night.” While many people are out and about during the day, I found that the hotel had a calm and relaxing atmosphere in the evening.
Of course, everyone’s experience may differ depending on the time of year and local activities. However, one thing is for certain: at the American Trade Hotel, each of the more than 40 rooms is unique and distinct. From the beautifully designed Panamanian furniture crafted from reclaimed wood to the handwoven coverlets made in Mexico, every room is thoughtfully appointed with luxurious amenities such as plush bathrobes and free Wi-Fi throughout.
To add to the indulgent experience, all rooms are furnished with bath products by Aesop, and most rooms include rain showers for the ultimate pampering.
Get ready to experience unparalleled service during your stay at the hotel! The hotel door is manned by a friendly and attentive staff member who is available to greet you and assist with anything you may need.
I always looked forward to seeing the doorman whenever I was leaving or returning to the hotel. It was a great opportunity to practice my Spanish skills while also receiving a warm welcome. This small but impactful detail adds to the overall exceptional experience at the American Trade Hotel.
On-Site Dining Options
The American Trade Hotel is not only a place to stay but also a destination for dining and entertainment. With multiple dining options, the hotel offers an array of cuisines to satisfy every palate. Whether it’s a romantic dinner, a casual bite, or a cocktail with friends, the hotel’s restaurants and bars have got you covered.
The Dining Room is the hotel’s signature restaurant, serving contemporary Panamanian cuisine. The elegant and stylish decor of the restaurant is complemented by a menu that showcases the best of local ingredients.
Be sure to check out the menu below and let me know which item catches your eye! Don’t forget to leave a comment at the end of the blog post and share your thoughts.
The Lobby Bar is the perfect place to unwind after a day of exploring Casco Viejo. With its cozy ambiance and extensive drink menu, including signature cocktails and local spirits, it’s a great spot to catch up with friends or enjoy a nightcap. The bar also offers a small bites menu featuring local delicacies like empanadas and ceviche.
Top Nearby Activities to Explore in Casco Viejo
From wandering through the charming cobblestone streets to visiting museums and galleries, there are plenty of things to see and do in the area.
Here are some nearby activities and attractions to enjoy during your stay at the American Trade Hotel:
- Visit the Panama Canal: Located just a short drive from the hotel, the Panama Canal is a must-see attraction. Visitors can take a tour to learn about the history and construction of the canal, as well as watch the ships passing through the locks.
- Explore Casco Viejo: The hotel is located in the heart of Casco Viejo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Take a stroll through the narrow streets and admire the beautifully restored colonial buildings. Don’t forget to stop by the local artisan shops and cafes.
- Visit the Biomuseo: Designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry, the Biomuseo is a museum dedicated to the biodiversity of Panama. The exhibits are interactive and engaging, making it a great activity for families.
- Take a walking tour: There are several walking tours available in Casco Viejo, including a food tour and a street art tour. These tours provide a great way to learn about the history and culture of the area.
- Relax at the beach: Panama is known for its beautiful beaches, and several are located within a short drive from the hotel. Playa Bonita is a popular option, offering stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and a variety of water activities.
- Visit Ancon Hill: Located just outside of Casco Viejo, Ancon Hill is a nature reserve that provides panoramic views of Panama City and the Panama Canal. Visitors can hike to the top or take a taxi for a small fee.
- Visit the Metropolitan Cathedral: Located in the heart of Casco Viejo, the Metropolitan Cathedral is a stunning example of colonial architecture. Visitors can attend a service or simply admire the intricate details of the building.
Looking for a good read during your stay ? Look no further than their stunning library, located on the second floor, just one story below the rooftop pool. As you enter the library, you’ll be greeted by a beautiful courtyard that awaits beyond the doors.
During my stay, I cherished the quiet time I spent here reading classic books. The library also easily converts into a meeting space during the day for staff, guests, or visitors, making it a versatile and functional area.
Overall, the library is a great use of space and a lovely place to spend some downtime during your stay.
Are you dreaming of a trip to Panama but feeling overwhelmed by the travel planning process? Look no further! I am happy to offer my professional expertise and personal experience to help you plan an amazing trip to Panama.
If you’re considering a stay at the American Trade Hotel, I highly recommend reserving your room in advance, especially if you’re planning to visit during the peak season from October to February. As one of the most popular hotels in the city, rooms at the American Trade Hotel tend to book up quickly during peak season. So, to ensure the best possible experience, it’s best to plan ahead and make your reservation in advance.
Final thoughts on My stay at the American Trade Hotel
As a newer hotel that opened its doors in 2013, the American Trade Hotel has exceeded my expectations in every way. From the impeccable attention to detail and preservation of the building’s history to the outstanding service and staff, fresh dining options, and exceptional accommodations, this hotel truly stands out. Its central location is also ideal for first-time visitors to Panama, offering easy access to all that the city has to offer.
The receptionists are courteous and knowledgeable, with many speaking English fluently. They are always available to assist with any request or task. Despite being located in the heart of the city, I found that the hustle and bustle were mostly heard during the day, allowing for a peaceful and restful night’s sleep. It’s worth noting that there is a church bell that rings at the top of every hour, which may bother some guests, but it did not affect my stay.
Getting around Panama City is a breeze, as most of the attractions in Casco Viejo are within walking distance of the hotel. Additionally, Uber is available in Panama City, making it easy to travel to the Canal Zone, mall, and other destinations for less than $20 one way.
Another great feature of the hotel is the strong Wi-Fi, making it an excellent choice for digital nomads or anyone who relies on consistent internet service while traveling.
Overall, I highly recommend the American Trade Hotel and hope that this post has been helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to leave a comment below.
My stay at The American Trade Hotel was compensated. My views and opinion of the location and accommodation are authentically my own.