This a sponsored opportunity on behalf of The Fenway Hotel all views and opinions are my own.
Have your trip to Florida planned by a professional
The Fenway Hotel is a historic boutique hotel located in the charming town of Dunedin, Florida. This hotel is known for its vintage flair and art deco style, as well as its prime location near some of the best attractions in the area. As a travel blogger and Dunedin local, I recently had the pleasure of enjoying a staycation at The Fenway Hotel and exploring all the city has to offer.
In this blog, I’ll share my experience and give you some tips for planning your own stay at this delightful hotel.
Fenway Hotel is a sister property to Epicurean Hotel in Tampa Florida, about 30 minutes away.
Table of Contents
Discovering Dunedin, FL: Top Things to Know Before Your Visit
Dunedin is a charming city located on the west coast of Florida, about 30 minutes from Tampa. Here are some facts to know before you go:
- History: Dunedin was founded in the late 1800s by Scottish settlers and was named after the Gaelic word for Edinburgh. The city has a rich history, which is evident in its architecture and landmarks.
- Location: Dunedin is situated on the Gulf of Mexico, and its downtown area is located on the water. The city is known for its beautiful beaches, including Honeymoon Island and Caladesi Island State Park.
- Culture: Dunedin is known for its vibrant arts and culture scene. The city has a number of galleries and museums, as well as an active performing arts community.
- Sports: Dunedin is home to the Toronto Blue Jays spring training facility and the Dunedin Blue Jays minor league team. The city also hosts a number of sporting events throughout the year, including the Honeymoon Island Triathlon and the Dunedin Highland Games.
- Events: Dunedin is known for its festivals and events, including the Dunedin Celtic Festival, Mardi Gras celebration, and the popular Dunedin Art Festival.
Whether you’re looking to explore the city’s rich history, relax on its beautiful beaches, or immerse yourself in its vibrant culture, Dunedin has something for everyone.
Getting to Dunedin, FL: Transportation Options and Tips
Getting to Dunedin is easy, as there are several transportation options available. Visitors can fly into Tampa International Airport or St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport and then take a shuttle or taxi to Dunedin. Those who prefer driving can take Highway 19, which is the main road that runs through the town. Additionally, the Jolley Trolley, a local trolley service, offers transportation throughout Dunedin and the surrounding areas. This fun and unique mode of transportation provides a convenient and affordable way to explore the town and visit nearby attractions.
The Fenway Hotel
The Fenway Hotel is a boutique hotel located in Dunedin, Florida, and was built in 1927. Originally a hotel, it was later converted to a college campus, and then to a public museum. In 2017, the hotel was renovated and restored to its former glory. Today, it offers modern amenities and luxury accommodations while still retaining its historic charm.
The Fenway Hotel features 83 rooms, including 10 suites, all decorated in a classic, elegant style with modern touches. The hotel also has several event spaces for weddings, meetings, and other special events. Additionally, guests can enjoy the hotel’s restaurant and bar, which offers a menu of locally-sourced cuisine and craft cocktails. The hotel is situated in a prime location in Dunedin, just a short walk from the Gulf of Mexico and the popular Dunedin Marina, as well as the charming downtown area, where visitors can enjoy unique shops, restaurants, and attractions.
Room Types and Amenities at The Fenway Hotel
The hotel offers a variety of unique and comfortable rooms for guests to choose from. Each room is designed with comfort and relaxation in mind, providing an ideal retreat for travelers.
- Classic Room – These cozy rooms are perfect for a solo traveler or a couple looking for an intimate retreat. They feature either one queen or one king bed and are furnished with a writing desk and armchair.
- Deluxe Room – The Deluxe Rooms are more spacious and offer the choice of a king or two queen beds. They come with a writing desk, armchair, and a sofa bed for extra sleeping arrangements.
- Balcony Room – Enjoy the beautiful views of the St. Joseph Sound from the balcony of these rooms. They come with either a king or two queen beds and are furnished with a writing desk and armchair.
- Fenway Suite – These spacious suites offer a separate living area and bedroom, each with a flat-screen TV. The living area features a comfortable sofa bed, armchairs, and a coffee table. The bedroom comes with a king bed, a writing desk, and an armchair.
- Penthouse Suite – The Penthouse Suite is a luxurious retreat that features a separate living room and bedroom, each with its own flat-screen TV. The living room comes with a plush sofa, chairs, and coffee table, while the bedroom has a king bed, armchair, and writing desk. The suite also boasts a balcony with stunning views of the St. Joseph Sound.
During my stay at The Fenway Hotel, I enjoyed the comfort of their classic queen room that accommodates up to four guests with two queen beds. The room had a cozy and homey atmosphere that made me feel comfortable and relaxed. Additionally, the room came with luxurious amenities, such as a branded plush robe, fluffy duvet covers, a marble shower with a rainfall showerhead, a coffee maker, a microwave, and a mini-refrigerator.
One of the unique features of the room was the Fenway Amazon Echo device that allowed me to contact guest services, play music, set alarms, or order room service. It was a great addition to my stay, making it even more enjoyable and convenient.
The bathroom at the Fenway Hotel is a stunning sight to see with its beautiful golden accents and mosaic decor. The full lighting on the mirror makes it easy for you to get ready and there’s even a smaller pull-out mirror perfect for applying makeup. As they say, it’s the little things that make all the difference!
Top Things to Do Near The Fenway Hotel in Dunedin, FL
Hotel guests can easily explore the surrounding area without worrying about parking by catching a ride on the Clearwater Jolley Trolley, which travels to Clearwater, Palm Harbor, and Tarpon Springs. Additionally, guests can take advantage of the complimentary Fenway Hotel bicycles to explore the waterfront, Dunedin, and the 50-mile Pinellas Trail.
The area is known for its picturesque beaches, scenic parks, and vibrant cultural scene. There are plenty of activities to do near The Fenway Hotel, whether you’re interested in outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, or just relaxing in the sun.
One popular activity is to explore Honeymoon Island State Park, which offers four miles of pristine beaches and nature trails. Visitors can swim, sunbathe, fish, and kayak, as well as hike the trails and observe the park’s wildlife. Another natural area to visit is the Dunedin Hammock, a 90-acre nature preserve that is home to various species of birds and plants.
For art and culture lovers, Dunedin has several museums, galleries, and performance spaces. The Dunedin Fine Art Center showcases the work of local and regional artists, while the Leepa-Rattner Museum of Art exhibits a collection of modern and contemporary art. The historic Dunedin Scottish Arts Foundation hosts concerts, festivals, and other cultural events throughout the year.
Overall, Dunedin and its surrounding areas offer plenty of activities to suit all interests, making it a great destination for a relaxing staycation.
Discovering the Best Dining Options in Fenway Hotel
Hi-fi Rooftop Bar
Don’t miss out on the “Fenway Sunset” when you visit the Hi-Fi Rooftop Bar at the Fenway Hotel – it’s both Instagram-worthy and delicious! Made with prohibition gin, elderflower, lemon, and simple syrup, it’s the perfect cocktail to sip while taking in the stunning views of Caladesi and Honeymoon Islands. Fun fact: the Hi-Fi Rooftop Bar was once home to the WGBH radio station back in 1925. Keep in mind that the bar is strictly limited to guests who are 21 years or older. Cheers!
HEW Parlor and Chophouse
HEW Parlor & Chophouse 🍴 offers an exceptional dining experience with an amazing menu and drinks, and excellent staff. It’s no surprise that it was ranked as the 8th best restaurant in the Marriott collection out of 106 hotel restaurants.
During my visit, I ordered the HEW Caesar salad, Cast iron-seared jumbo scallops, and a slice of chocolate cake to celebrate the occasion. Did you know that the name HEW honors the original architect of the Fenway Hotel, Herman Everett Wendell? The name “Hew” also means to cut or chop, which inspired the name of HEW Parlor and Chophouse.
Final Thoughts on The Fenway Hotel
A staycation at The Fenway Hotel in Dunedin is the perfect way to explore this charming, small town on the Gulf Coast. With its rich history, stunning scenery, and plethora of activities, Dunedin has something to offer everyone. The Fenway Hotel, with its elegant accommodations, impeccable service, and stunning views, is the ideal base for exploring all that the area has to offer. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or a family vacation, Dunedin and The Fenway Hotel are sure to exceed your expectations. So why not plan your staycation now and experience the beauty and hospitality of this hidden gem on the Gulf Coast?
Additionally, it’s worth mentioning that The Fenway Hotel is part of the Marriott Hotel chain. If you are a Bonvoy member, you can maximize your points by using them to book your stay.
I stayed at the Fenway Hotel as a hosted guest of the hotel, however the content shared in this blog post is carefully crafted with the So Southern Belle audience in mind. All thoughts are my own.